The Utility of a Motion Sensor in The Digital Home Security Solution
Contrary to popular belief a home burglary is least likely to happens during the night. But, according to Secure Life, 65% of home invasion takes place during the day especially during 10 am and 3 pm when you’re at work. In fact, the latest report from the FBI states that one home invasion takes place every 20 seconds. Therefore when you consider how unsafe you really are to such danger it’s better to take timely measures than repenting later. One of the most effective ways of protecting your home is by investing in digital home security solution by installing a wireless motion sensor.
A motion sensor is a security device that detects moving objects, particularly of any and every activity of traceable living beings. Such a device is being a part of the digital home security solution and often integrated as a component of a home security system that automatically performs a task or alerts you of a movement in an area. Motion Sensor acts as vital components in the digital home security solution. Its integration with other home security device makes it an effective security system.
How it Works
A motion sensor by its definition could detect the slightest unusual movement within its range. If the motion sensor detects anything it will automatically trigger a signal that is sent to your security systems control panel. This, in turn, alerts you and sent a notification to the professional monitoring service of a potential threat in your home. Other than enhancing your home security motion sensor has also been effective in home automation like smart lighting system. It also triggers a security camera to record the possible intrusion. Moreover, it has found wide use in commercial applications like activating automatic door openers in business and public buildings.
Types of Motion Sensors in The Digital Home Security Solution
Depending upon its application there are several types of motion sensors that are widely in use:
Passive Infrared Sensors – This type of sensors detect a person by the infrared energy emitted by a persons body temperature. It uses infrared wavelengths to detect any movements in contrast to background objects at room temperature. It is named passive infrared because of not emitting any energy on its own.
Active Infrared sensors – These sensors are connected to the light detector and are designed to emit signals by picking up any movement when the beams get interrupted. The emitted signal could also be waves of microwave radiation.
Dual-technology motion detectors – Dual sensor technology combine PIR sensor and microwave sensor into one unit. This helps in reducing false trigger but only does so at the expanse of reduced detection probabilities and increased vulnerability. Both sensors must trip together for a motion to be detected. To lower the chances of a false alarm the changes in heat and light may trip the PIR but not the microwave or moving tree branches may trigger the microwave but not the PIR. If an intruder can able to fool any of the two sensors then the dual-technology motion detectors will fail to detect it.
To overcome these loopholes the PIR technology in dual-technology motion detectors is paired with another model that consumes less energy and maximizes accuracy.
Compare to the hard-wired motion sensors a wireless motion sensor is relatively easier to set up as there are no wires to set up separately. If you want your motion sensors to work effectively then you should carefully survey the different areas of your home which will give you the idea about the areas that needs to be protected. As you know that the effectiveness of a motion sensors depends upon its placing try to figure out that effective angle that will help you or you can take the advice of an expert of professional when dealing with the installation of a motion detector.
Some tips that can help you while installing a motion sensor:
- Try to place the motion sensors approximately 10-15 feet away from heating vents, sunlit areas and radiators as the PIR sensor are sensitive to changes in temperature and this may accidentally trigger the alarm.
- Always remember to install a motion sensor in the master bedroom or any other room with valuables and try to install the device in an effective angle to track intruders.
- The motion sensor must be installed parallelly to the walking path so that it can detect any action of intruders. Moreover, it is better to install them in walls that an intruder would have to walk alongside are good spots for sensors.
Motion sensor devices can be upgraded and its utility can be expanded as it is designed to integrate with home security and home automation system. Therefore its multi-utility makes it an effective device for the home security solution like it triggered the alarm and the security camera when it detects any motion. The same motion also helps it in assisting smart lighting setup a feature of the home automation. Moreover, to prevent pets from triggering false alarm you can upgrade your sensors that are more pet-friendly. However, you have adjusted the height of your device on your own.
First Thing First in The Digital Home Security Solution
Before making a final decision about buying the motion sensor you should consider:
- Know about the various types of motion sensors, their features, price and availability before making a buying decision.
- If you are buying the sensors as a part of an entire home security systems prioritize those sensors that are approved and offered by the home security provider. Buying sensors separately may not cover its warranty by your home security brand.
- It is always recommended to read the instructions carefully before installing sensors on your own. You can also take expert advice before installing a motion sensor.
- Remember that motion sensor can subject to the false alarm. The other shortcomings that can affect its efficiency include poor application engineering, electrical failures, power surges, input errors, and faulty equipment. Reading the instruction carefully before installation and adequate knowledge about its installation can help you during the setup of the motion sensor.
The wireless motion sensor not only acts as an added layer of security but also ensure that its presence will give you a fighting chance against any intrusion. The wireless motion sensor is also more effective if compared to hard-wired motion sensor as it easy to set up and does not require electricity for its function. It is connected over a Wi-Fi device and can be integrated with other digital home security and home automation devices.
To comment on this article and to know more about home security solution check: https://thehomesecuritysolution.com/